Understanding Your Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit Evaluations (TCE) are prepared based on the official transcripts received at NMU, based on our transfer credit policies. Transfer credit policies can be found in the NMU Bulletin.

Students who have attended regionally accredited community colleges may transfer up to 90 semester hours of credit. There is no limit on the number of credits transferred from regionally accredited baccalaureate-granting colleges and universities. You will receive separate evaluations for each college you attended and we will update these each time we receive new transcript information showing new courses you have completed. Transfer Credit Evaluations for AP, IB, or CLEP exam scores will also be created upon receipt of your official exam results. 

Credits & Grades

Your TCE will display all courses from prior transcripts received by NMU regardless of the grade earned. NMU will grant credit for courses with a grade of C- or higher. If there is a matching NMU course equivalent, that NMU course and credits will be noted.    

Prior grades and grade point averages are not computed into your NMU GPA. A new grade point average will be calculated using only courses completed at NMU. 

You may see “General Elective Credit” noted for some courses. This means that the course does not meet a specific degree requirement but the credits will be used to help you reach the minimum 120 total credits required for degree completion.

If you have earned more than 90 semester hours at a community college and would like to change the courses on your TCE to include courses previously excluded, please contact your academic adviser and they will be happy to work with you.

Advising – Using Earned Credits Towards Your NMU Degree

You and your NMU adviser will use the information in your TCE for degree completion planning. Any prior NMU and transfer credit will be visible in your Curriculum, Advising, and Program Planning (CAPP) degree evaluation.

If a transfer course is equivalent to a Northern Michigan University course, a direct course equivalency will be granted even if the number of credits is different. For example, if you completed a 3-credit course elsewhere that is equivalent to an NMU 4-credit course, you will have completed that NMU course and will be awarded three credits. The total credits required for the NMU degree must still be achieved.

If a transfer course has no direct equivalent, but could be taught by an NMU department, the course will be assigned departmental credit. The course may, at the department’s discretion, be used as a program elective.

If a course has no equivalent and no home department can be established, the course will be assigned general elective credit. The course can be used to meet the general electives required for most degrees. An attempt is made to designate courses with no NMU equivalents that can be used to meet the General Education program requirements.

Any questions regarding transfer credit or remaining NMU requirements should be directed to your academic adviser. If you’re unsure of who your adviser is please contact the Global Campus at online@nmu.edu or 906-227-1200.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: